What a wet, dull and cold snap we are having. Absolutely no enthusiasm for pottering in the frozen wasteland that was once the garden! So instead been browsing the interweb and come across a few more tips for December. Its amazing how much good information there is available via Google and the sites it throws-up.
Anyway the tips:
- Refirm the roots of any shrubs that may have been lifted by frost.
- After all the windy weather check fence posts and panels and repair if they have become loose or damaged.
- Make sure that the shed roof is still water tight.
- Dig over beds not only prepares the soil for next year, it helps reduce pests by exposing them to hungry birds.
- Check out Garden Swap Shop, where you can swap your excess seeds and plants with other website members
- If fallen leaves are a problem in your garden try to remove them from the lawn as regularly as possible. If you wait until all the leaves have dropped, your grass will be fighting for survival under a cold damp blanket of moist, rotting vegetation.
- While its quiet in the garden take the opportunity to do any hard landscaping work.
- Clear ivy from around windows and cut back any loose stems on other clinging climbers such as Hydrangea petiolaris, Pileostegia, Schizophragma and Parthenocissus before the winds peel them back further.
Only 10 more shopping days until Christmas so got to go! Urghhh