As December is here and everyone’s thoughts are turning to Christmas – love it or not, thought we’d pen some general tips for activity in your garden. Get you away from presents and wrapping if you so desire!
Not in any particular order of importance, just a random collection.
Would welcome any additional tips/thoughts/anecdotes:
- Minimize traffic on a frozen lawn to reduce winter damage
- Drain the fuel tank of the lawn mower before putting the machine away for the winter
- Make a composting trench to enrich soil
- Dig over vacant areas
- Mow your lawn on a dry day with the blades set high
- Wrap outside taps with insulation material to prevent them freezing and turn off the water supply inside your house
- Place a floating heater or a ball in ponds to stop ice completely covering the surface
- Move tender or valuable houseplants away from cold window sills every evening
- Carry on digging over beds and borders and incorporate as much organic matter as you can
- Keep raking leaves to keep your garden clear over the winter
- Take care not to let leaves accumulate around alpines – they will die if left damp for long
That’s it for now – more thoughts as we go through the month. Stay warm and dry if you can.